The European Council on Refugees and Exiles (ECRE) and The Danish Refugee Council’s Diaspora Programme (DRC) have organized this event to discuss the access of Afghans to asylum in Europe with a particular focus on recent policy development concerning women and girls. The purpose of this event is to:
1. To examine obstacles and challenges for Afghans in search of protection en route to Europe.
2. To provide an overview of the situation of Afghan asylum seekers in Europe.
3. To assess the European Union Asylum Agency (EUAA) and UNHCR’s latest country guidance notes on Afghanistan, particularly their position on Afghan women.
4. To discuss recent EU and Member States’ policies towards Afghan women in need of protection with a specific Focus on Denmark and Sweden.
10:00 – 10:05: Opening remarks
- Ms. Josephine Liebl, Head of advocacy, ECRE
10h05 – 10h55: Challenges and protection needs of Afghans in the region and en routes to Europe
- Moderator: Mrs. Sitarah Mohammadi, Vice Chair, Asia Pacific Refugee Rights Network (APRRN)
- Mr. Abdullah Mohammadi, Regional 4Mi Coordinator, Mixed Migration Center (MMC)
- Ms. Jenni Robinson, Policy Advisor, International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Mr. Ali Hekmat, Director, Afghan Refugees Solidarity Association (ARSA)
10.55 – 11:05: Break
11:05– 11.55: The situation of Afghan asylum seekers in Europe and Member States’ recent policies towards Afghan women
- Moderator: Mrs. Juliana Santos Wahlgren, Director, European Anti-Poverty Network
- Mr. Reshad Jalali, Senior Policy Officer, ECRE
- Mrs. Dorte Smed, Head of Asylum Law Unit, DRC
- Mr. Michael Williams, Board Member, Refugees Rights Groups in Sweden (FARR)
11:55– 12.00: Closing remarks
- Mr. Adrien Bory, Project Coordinator, DRC Diaspora Programme